Image size on Instagram
Instagram is THE visual platform by excellence. And it is famous for the square format. Should you venture to change that "rule" you may get troubles.
Having the wrong format can be deadly on Instagram. Instagram will let you upload those non "Instagram aspect ratio" photos and videos, but beware: some of the pictures and video will be cropped off - resulting in head chopped, Stories cropped to something irrelevant -> non-engaging.
And, of course, the pictures and video you take from your phone are bigger than Instagram ratio.
Profile photo sizes:
- Your profile photo will be cropped as a circle, 110 pixels in diameter. Keep your company logo in the centre of the image, to avoid any of it being cropped out by the circle.
- Please be aware that wording logos are extremely difficult to read. Bright colours attract the eye, please do not change your profile picture too often as it may be complicated for people to recognise you.
In-stream photo sizes:
- Landscape: Width of at least 1080 pixels with an aspect ratio of up to 1.91:1
- Portrait: Width of at least 1080 pixels with and an aspect ratio up to 4:5
- To avoid having to crop your photo, aim to make it 320 x 1080 pixels with an aspect ratio between 1.91:1 (landscape) and 4:5 (portrait).
- But of course, the best ratio for photo is the square format
- Videos: they are squared, even if you took them in a landscape format, Instagram crop them. Knowing the famous rule of third my video of Mark Bradford was cropped and we don't see him 😟
- Your photos appear on your profile in a grid layout, at 161 x 161 pixels.
- Even if you upload a landscape photo, it will still appear as a centre-cropped square (meaning don't leave important info or visuals close to the edges of the photo).
The best size aspect ratio of 9:16 for both photos and videos.
- Images: 1080 x 1920 pixel
- Videos: 720 x 1280 pixel
Respect this ratio if you don't want to have your image narrowed against your will.
Like mine here below 👇
For those spending money on Ads
1) Ads in feed sizes:
- Square ads should be a minimum of 600 x 600 pixels and a maximum of 1936 x 1936 pixels.
Landscape ads should be a minimum of 600 x 315 pixels and a maximum of 1936 x 1936 pixels.
- Vertical ads should be a minimum of 600 x 750 pixels and maximum 1936 x 1936 pixels.
2) Ads in Stories sizes:
- Vertical photo (and video) ads should be at 1080 x 1920 pixels (however, the minimum is 600 x 1067 pixels) with an aspect ratio of 9:16.
- Maximum image size is 30MB.
- Your images will display for five seconds-so make it count.
Should you venture to go out those lines, you're picture may look not quite as planned.
Happy Instagramming! 😀
And if you prefer to get the results without the fuzz, check our Instagram Packages
Read what's new this week
HOUSE, ARTISTS, HOUSE OF ARTISTS, Instagram Expert, Artist coach, Artist Mentor, Art Agency, Digital Marketing Agency, Marketing Communication Agency, Social Media Agency, the house of the artists, thota, London, how to Instagram, make-over Instagram, make over Instagram, makeover Instagram, instagram, facebook advert, social media agency, Instagram Expert
If you think the info can help someone, share it 👇